County crews mobilize after new oil spill off Santa Barbara

 

Local crews are reacting to a new oil spill off the coast of Santa Barbara that has duped thousands of gallons of crude into the Pacific Ocean.

The spill along the Refugio State Beach coastline has emergency crews in the ocean and on the beach since noon on Tuesday.

Officials with the U.S. Coast Guard said that the oil slick is 4 miles wide. County Fire crews, environmental and state Park officials, along with the U.S. Coast Guard and an ExxonMobil official, were called out to the scene. Gov. Jerry Brown also sent resources to the spill on Tuesday.

Officials say an underwater pipeline belonging to Texas-based Plains All-American Pipeline ruptured some time Tuesday morning. More than 21,000 gallons of oil have been spilled so far.

KEYT News reports that Capt. Dave Zaniboni with the Santa Barbara County Fire Department, said the spill went into a culvert that ran under the U.S. 101 and into the ocean.

Refugio State Beach and the campground at Refugio have both been closed down due to the oil spill.


Comments