Tackling the HEALTH POLITICS of Water: Join the Conversation on June 14
California’s drought may be over, but the high-stakes politics of water in the Golden State continue like never before.
On June 14th, 2017 Public Health Advocates (the home of the HEAL Cities Campaign) will hold a critical convening of great minds and powerful organizations to ensure all conversations about water in California include a focus on health and healthy equity. The convening will bring together 300 scientists, advocates, policy makers and businesses to discuss cutting-edge strategies for promoting water access, water quality and water consumption in California and the nation.
What we know now:
• More than 1 million Californians lack reliable access to safe drinking water.
• 63% of Americans are worried about pollution of drinking water –the highest level of concern since 2001.
• In the midst of the growing diabetes epidemic, one-third of California teens drink soda every day in place of water.
What local electeds will gain from attending:
• A better understanding of the current barriers to water equity and therefore health equity
• How to better support the health of their residents in the growing diabetes epidemic through water promotion.
• Key strategies to ensure safe drinking water in schools and communities
• An opportunity to network with other local leaders
• Safe Drinking Water: Who Gets it? Who Doesn’t?
• Strategies to Ensure Safe Drinking Water in Schools and Communities
• The Practical Impacts of Climate Change on Drinking Water
• Drink Water Not Sugar: Strengthening the Shift
• Building a Movement for Water Equity
Let’s protect, distribute, promote and ensure access to safe drinking water for everybody in every community in California and beyond. Come join the conversation on June 14th 10am-2pm at the Sheraton Grand Hotel 1239 J Street Sacramento, CA.