E. Coli Outbreak Forces Closure of Animal Exhibits at San Diego County Fair

San Diego County health officials have closed all animal exhibits following the tragic death of a two year old boy who contracted E. Coli after visiting animals at the Del Mar Fairgrounds.

Officials have not confirmed the source of the infection with certainty, but the boy was one of four children who got sick after interacting with animals at the fair. The visits occurred June 8 through June 15.

The child that died suffered a complication that affects about 1 in 10 E. Coli patients, according to the Los Angeles Times

This is not the first time a child has died after contracting E. Coli from a fair’s petting zoo. In fact, scientific findings presented to the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology & Infections Diseases in Amsterdam three months ago show petting zoos are teeming with potentially deadly bacteria, including superbugs (USA Today).

Health experts say it is important to wash your hands after leaving animal enclosures and especially before eating or touching your face. We all know how great children are at that.


Comments