Health Officials Say Two More Kids Were Likely Sickened By Animals at the San Diego County Fair
San Diego public health officials said Friday that another two children ages 2 and 4 likely contracted E. coli after spending time with animals at the San Diego County Fair. Of the two new cases, one required hospitalization.
The announcement came two weeks after the death of a two-year-old boy who was diagnosed with E. coli after visiting the fair’s petting zoo. He was one of at least four children who became ill, forcing officials to close all animal exhibits.
There have now been four confirmed cases and three suspected, CBS San Diego reports. Interim Deputy County Public Health Officer Dean Sidelinger, M.D., MSEd, said he still expects more people to come to forward.